August 27, 2009

What's Cookin' - Zucchini Bread

The zucchini in gardens and on farms is abundant and beautiful right now and just begging to be baked into something wonderful. Another one of my favorite recipes from mom is Zucchini Bread, which I have updated to be lower in calories. It's still moist and dense and tastes fantastic!


Zucchini Bread

3 eggs, well beaten
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 cups sugar
3 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
3 tsp. vanilla
3 cups flour
2 cups raw grated zucchini
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Directions:

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Grease and flour 2 loaf pans (5x9x4"). Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes.

Or you can get about 24 muffins out of this recipe. Bake at 350 for approximately 18-20 minutes.

Notes: If you have a food processor, grating the zucchini with the shredding disc is really fast, although a hand grater works just as well. While I haven't tried this on my mandoline, this would be another good option.

The original version of this recipe called for 1 cup of vegetable oil. Although it is very delicious, in order to lower the calories I substituted 1 cup of unsweetened applesauce. You can also use both, i.e., 1/2 cup oil plus 1/2 cup applesauce or 1/4 cup oil plus 3/4 cup applesauce. But here's a shocking fact ... the calories in 1 cup of vegetable oil is 1,879 -- the calories in 1 cup of unsweetened applesauce is only 100!

We normally use chopped walnuts, although pecans or another type of nut you like would be just as good. I've also made it without nuts and it's great, too.

Personal note to mom: My original recipe card is from you, in your handwriting, yellowed and covered in grease spots. It's perfect! Thanks for all the great recipes!!!

4 comments:

Kelli said...

Tried the mandolin slicer I bought after using yours last year with the julienne attachment - worked great! And my right arm is really buff!

jayaycee said...

I love it. Whenever we do potatoes, it's so fast slicing them up. I'm picturing you lopsided now from the weight of your muscular right arm...

Sara said...

Zucchini bread will always make me think of Mom's bread. I have never tasted another recipe that can compare to hers. And the fact that Dad grew the zucchini was an added bonus!

jayaycee said...

It really is "the best" zucchini bread recipe ever. Wish I could grow stuff. I tried planting some garlic bulbs that had sprouted but it's so hot here that if you don't water every 10 minutes, stuff just fries outside.