August 4, 2009

Big Stix Afghan

Finished the Big Stix afghan that I've made as a wedding gift and shipped it out today. I have to say, as someone who loves instant gratification, this was a very satisfying project. I will make many more of these and it really did only take about 6 hours total to complete. Knitted size is 40" x 60" and I added an edge of single crochet with a size Q hook around the border to keep the edges from rolling. Fringe is about 8" long. It's amazing how soft and cozy it feels.

Completed Afghan made on Big Stix Needles

I was so thrilled with the Speed Stix size 50 knitting needles, I wanted more patterns to try. There are a few free patterns available on the Lion Brand website -- mostly afghans. Then I found a booklet available for sale that I ordered on eBay -- Quick Knits for Big Stix, 9 Fabulous Projects in 1-10 Hours or Less. I think the Cropped Jacket on the cover is so cute. Unfortunately, there wouldn't be too many opportunities to wear this in Arizona, even in the winter months, but I'll make it and send it to someone where real winter happens.

Quick Knits with Speed Stix

2 comments:

Kelli said...

Never seen "Stix", but I'm having a great time picturing you perched in your knitting spot manhandling pointed broom sticks with a ball of yarn the size of a beach ball beside you! : )

jayaycee said...

That's exactly how it felt. Awkward, but the speed of knitting with those big things was terrific!