April 22, 2010

It's a Topsy Turvy World

The crazy train is leaving the station and, fortunately, my sweet Hubby just shakes his head and climbs on board. You know how you'll hear or see something on the edge of your consciousness and you kind of file it away for later ... but then you realize you didn't get the whole thing?

I sort of caught an infomercial recently for growing tomatoes upside down so they're hanging instead of planted in the ground. I thought this was a great idea because our Yorkie, Louie, has made it his mission on earth to destroy plants. I do a little container gardening (very little) in the back yard. I've had a little luck (very little) with flowers and aloe vera and cherry tomatoes and grew some amazing pumpkin leaves - no pumpkins, just leaves. And, bless his pointy little head, Louie helps me out by yanking these plants out by the roots and bringing them in the house through the doggie door, leaving a trail of dirt.

Once, after a storm, we had a 10-foot long palm frond on the ground and when we got home from work, Louie had single-doggedly pulled the entire thing into the house through the 7"x10" opening in the doggie door. He's big for a Yorkie, but he's still only 13 pounds - now that is dogged determination! I'm sure when Louie does things like this, Miles (who is the nervous Nellie of the two) just frets and paces and waits for the fertilizer to hit the fan.

Part 2 of edge of consciousness ... I was going to the grocery store last week and right in the doorway they had a display for the upside down tomato plants - for only $9.99. I thought, hmmmmmm, but was in a hurry so I didn't get one just then. After I got home, I wrote it on the grocery list -- then Hubby went grocery shopping and picked up the Topsy Turvy Upside Down Tomato Plant package.

Except, duh, it's just the Upside Down Tomato Planter ...

It does not include the actual tomato plant, potting soil or fertilizer. So now my little $10 project has turned into a $30 project. How many tomatoes can you buy for $30? Look at that picture again and you will notice Louie laying on the love seat just to the right of the box. I'm sure he's thinking I just loves me some tomato plant!

As mentioned, Hubby was on board with this little gardening project and, since he needed to run to Home Depot Sunday, he picked up a seedling Roma tomato plant (my favorites), a huge bag of potting soil and some fertilizer for vegetables. So far, you will note, I've done absolutely nothing but write it on the list.

So on Monday, I asked him if he wanted to help me pot this thing. He gave me a looooooong look and asked why he would want to do that since he'd already done everything else! Fortunately, he was just kidding and ended up being more than helpful because you need more than two hands to wrangle that plant into the upside down planter and connect it into the placeholder sponge, and it gets pretty darn heavy as the dirt is going in. And he climbed the ladder and hung it for me. What a guy!!!

I have a notoriously non-green thumb and always either over- or under-water. The information sheet reads - and I quote - "You cannot over water the Topsy Turvy Tomato Planter." Hubby said to tell you that, even with my black thumb, half an hour after we potted it, our 9" seedling was still alive -- ha ha! I'll keep you posted ... Happy Earth Day!

5 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

I hope it works for you...I had a friend who bought one, and had hardly any luck with it producing tomatoes. Keep us posted.

And the little Louie? I'll take him if you decide his love for digging is just too much. [kidding!]

I'm trying to catch up on my wonderful visitors from Wednesday. I thank you for dropping by and leaving such a kind comment. It's always so much appreciated.

Thanks, and do come again sometime soon.

Hope your day has been treating you well so far!!

Karen said...

I saw the Topsy thing at Wal-Mart the other day, I guess now I know what its for and how much the whole thing will really cost me.

I've tried the gardening thing once and let me tell you after working that hard, I give props to anyone and everyone who takes on gardening as a project.

Wishing you and your tomatoes the best this gardening season =)


Karen
thereforeiblog.com

Anonymous said...

I would love to hear how this works out! I've been wanting to try one of these plants, myself.

nuts said...

OMG, i just sneaked in here from new post it note.. I only knew about this topsy turvy tomato here.. it's a nice experience btw.. not to mention how much it costs..

Sistertex said...

I used one of these last year. Didn't go too well. Planting them normal this year, in the ground. I got 3 tiny tomatoes last year off my Topsy Turvy plant. Hope you will have much better luck than I did. :)