February 11, 2011

What's Cookin' - Turkey Apple Burgers

I know a lot of people hear "turkey burgers" and just say, "Nope, no way, no how!" My family was definitely included in that bunch until I started making these juicy, simple burgers a few years ago. They are easy to make and really tasty. We serve them on hamburger buns with cranberry sauce.


Turkey Apple Burgers
(makes 4 quarter-pound patties)

1 pound ground turkey (you can also use ground chicken)
1 Granny Smith apple
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
salt and pepper

Wash and core the apple, then slice it into thin rounds. Take four of the largest slices to set aside and serve on the burger. Chop the rest of the apple along with the celery.

Mix together the turkey, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper, apple and celery. Form into four patties. Grill on the barbeque or in a grill pan with a spray of olive oil until cooked through.

We use Jennie-O ground turkey ...


Since there were only three of us for dinner this time, I made just three patties ...


As long as you don't over cook them, they stay very juicy. We tried EarthGrains Whole Wheat Thin Buns, which Hubby gave a thumbs up but the Granddaughter didn't care for. (It must be a kid thing.)


When I have fresh potatoes, I like to make my own fries, but here I oven-baked some crinkle cut fries. I'll open a can of cranberry sauce, put half of it in a container and freeze it to use the next time, slathering the buns with the other half. This time, I had some Cranberry-Sour Cherry Chutney in the freezer from Thanksgiving so I thawed that and used it instead. These juicy, flavorful turkey burgers with the tart bite of Granny Apple and cranberry sauce are just sooooo good! And don't forget healthy!


5 comments:

Elizabeth @ Southern Comfort said...

It's 9:30am and you already have me thinking about lunch. Thanks for the mouth-watering idea. I'll have to give these a "go" with the hubs and see if he likes them. He's one of "those" burger snobs too. :)

Baby Sister said...

They look interesting. I will have to give them a try one day...not sure how Boyfriend would feel about them though. :)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

They sound pretty good to me. I love Granny Smith apples too! I always use sandwich thins, they are the best.

Unknown said...

That does sound good. Looks good too!

Kathleen said...

These look and sound super yummy!