February 22, 2011

It's the Little Things

Don't you find that it's simply the smallest things that can put a smile on your face? Little things like ...


Cinnamon sugar toast. I had given away my shaker of cinnamon sugar to the Youngest Daughter last year and then got to talking to the Granddaughter about it recently. So Hubby picked up a set of salt and pepper shakers at the dollar store for us and we mixed up a small batch. One teaspoon of cinnamon to three teaspoons of sugar ... lightly toast the bread, slather on butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar goodness. Yum!

Learning something new ...


My BIL has started hosting a group of crafty friends at his house once a month. It began with the idea that we wanted to learn how to crochet from one of his friends -- I made two cotton dishcloth/potholders from the first lesson. Now we're planning to include making some charitable offerings like chemo caps or squares for afghans. I so look forward to getting together every month.

Beading ...


I made my Mom an alpaca blend hat for her birthday and included a knitted flower pin with beads stitched into the center ...


She told me she was hoping she was on my hat-making list ... isn't that sweet?

The Granddaughter has been carrying her Minky blanket around with her just like she did when she was a toddler. It's so gratifying to see that she loves her Valentine's present so much and it was worth the hours hunched over the sewing machine and the pin-stuck fingers ...


And here's a BIG THING 

Congratulations to our Nephew who proposed to his sweetheart on Valentine's Day ...


"... when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."

- When Harry Met Sally

7 comments:

Loren said...

Oh I Love this post! Your family is sooooo VERY blessed to have you! I LOVE your Moms hat! WHO wouldn't want to be on your hat list ;) Your so kind to share your gift with the chemo patients and those in need! I know my Dad would have loved to have one of those hats when he went through that. His poor head was so red and chaffed from the radiation. Just makes me smile knowing all the good you are doing for those in need! You are such a gem my friend!

Dazee Dreamer said...

I love cinnamin toast. I've even started taking flour tortilla's heating them up in the microwave and adding the butter and cinnamin sugar to them. oh my. It's awesome.

I love your skills. you rock.

Baby Sister said...

Nummy on the toast!! Makes me want some. :)
My mom tried to teach me to crochet once...it didn't get very far. Maybe one day I'll learn...
That hat is adorable, your mom is one lucky lady!!
The blanket suits granddaughter. :) And congrats to the nephew!! I love that quote. :)

Elizabeth @ Southern Comfort said...

it's the smallest things that make the biggest difference in my day. I love cinnamon toast, one of my favorites since I was a little girl.
John asked me to be his wife 2 years ago this valentines. I'll never see it the same again.

Pepsi Breath said...

Mom always had a Tupperware shaker of cinnamon sugar on the shelf for toast. Thanks for the recipe!

I'm PROUD to be one of the lucky ones on the hat list!!! Also proud to have such a GENEROUS and CREATIVE sis!!!

What a romantic nephew we have!

heavenisabookstore said...

I love cinnamon sugar toast! And the shaker makes it that much more special. How fabulous is it that you get to see your work was worth it everyday with that blanket?

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Yes, yes, yes! By the way that toast looks delicious. Also, I didn't know what Dink meant!