February 7, 2011

How Not To Diet

If you're interested in dieting, don't hang out with us. Yesterday was Sunday... Super Bowl Sunday if you're a sports fan. Around here, though, it was Chocolate Sunday, a.k.a. time for The Chocolate Affaire. Oh, *sigh* the wonderful annual chocolate extravaganza in Glendale, Arizona -- I know I say this every time I talk about it, but you can actually smell chocolate in the air. In the air, people. It's amazing!

So in anticipation of all the chocolate goodness to come, like idiots we started the day with Monkey Bread because we weren't going to have enough sugar in our systems ...


When we were preparing it Saturday night, Hubby had a great idea. Instead of just cutting the rolls in half as it says in the directions, we cut them into fourths. This way, the pieces of bread you pull apart are much smaller and there are a lot more cracks and crevices for the gooey caramely stuff to slide into. So smaller pieces of rolls equals better Monkey Bread.

Now on to Glendale for The Chocolate Affaire. Did I mention that you can smell chocolate wafting through the air??? Check out this huge copper pot of fudge being stirred ...


There were also great booths of crafty items that we perused and made a few purchases from ...


Beautiful bags and gorgeous Italian glass necklaces ... and, yes, the dude is wearing a funky little hat. We didn't ask.

Lots of chocolate booths. We, of course, had Indian fry bread with beans and cheese for lunch with homemade root beer, then chocolate covered strawberries, caramel apples and dark chocolate covered cheesecake ON A STICK that was truly delicious.


There were rides ...


Here are the Granddaughter and Youngest Daughter in giant balls rolling around ...


It was a gorgeous sunny day with a little breeze -- perfect for being outdoors ...


After 4 hours of chocolate fun, we headed for home to eat a big pot of chicken chili and a pan of fresh-baked rolls while watching the Super Bowl.

There's only one thing left to say ...


Peace Love Chocolate!

10 comments:

Dazee Dreamer said...

Do you know that I bought all the ingredients for your monkey rolls yesterday. I didn't make them yet. And now I'm glad I didn't so I will cut them in 4ths. woo hoo. yeah, I took your recipe you posted. Cuz I'm like that.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That's a great idea with the monkey bread! I want to go to that Chocolate Affaire, is it always on Super Bowl Sunday or is it on Saturday too? I think I need to be there next year! My sister-in-law lives in Peoria.

Baby Sister said...

Okay. I'm coming to Glendale next year. Seriously. This sounds amazing!! I could smell and taste the chocolate and monkey bread through the monitor...*sigh*

heavenisabookstore said...

The monkey bread WAS so good! I actually kinda noticed it was different. Cool! It worked.

Snowcatcher said...

And you never said what team you rooted for! But, I guess, when chocolate is involved, who cares?!?

Those giant balls look like my kind of fun!

Cheeseboy said...

Dang! Chocolate and good times!

I should have come to your place for the Superbowl. Your stuff looks deliciawsome.

Tightwad Mom said...

Oh, you had me at CHOCOLATE! Sounds like it was the most divine place to be yesterday. P.S. Fry Bread and Indian Tacos were Dear Hubby's favorite thing to eat while he lived in Arizona! He still brags them up!

jayayceeblog said...

Debby @ Just Breathe - Oh, you'd love it! It's just a nice, pretty day to wander around and stuff yourself silly. They hold it around Valentine's Day and it changes every year so you'll have to check their website periodically to see when they schedule it for next year ... http://www.glendaleaz.com/events/

Loren said...

Oh how much fun is this!!! There have been absolutely NO OUTSIDE activities other than shoveling SNOW and then shoveling more snow. We got 24 inches in the first round. then 6 inches a few days later and just last night we got the final round bringing 9 more inches. I look so forward to warm air, green grass and planting flowers!!!
Thanks for sharing this wonderful day you had with all of us :) Nothing better than having a day with your family, delicious food, yummy chocolate and end it with the Superbowl! WOOHOO!

Hugs to you my friend!

Kathleen said...

Makes me wish I lived in AZ so I could attend!