February 14, 2011

Minky Love

During December, the Granddaughter and I were walking through the fabric department at Hobby Lobby when we passed a display of Minky Dots and she was mesmerized! She was rubbing her hands over it, ooohing and aaahing and said, "Nana, I want a blanket made from this for Christmas." I truthfully told her that I was already so far behind on my gift making, it would be impossible for me to get a blanket done in time for Christmas. Sweet and unrealistic, she thinks I can do anything, so she gave me this look of disbelief and said with just a hint of sarcasm, "Well, how about for Valentine's Day?" Alrighty then!

I was in the fabric department at JoAnn's right around Christmas and it was definitely my lucky day. Minky fabrics are regularly priced around $13-15 per yard but they were on sale for half-price and I had a coupon for 15% off my entire purchase. Anticipating making her the requested blanket for Valentine's Day, I bought two yards each of Minky Dots in blue and regular Minky in zebra stripe ...


These Minky fabrics are incredibly soft -- the ridiculous kind of soft that triggers thoughts of Minky underwear -- and they're very popular for making baby blankets. They run about 58" wide and I bought 2-yard lengths so I'd have pieces of fabric around 58" x 72" to work with. They're such a nice weight that they're warm and cozy without needing batting in the layers.

It's a little bit tricky to sew because of the stretchiness so I found the best way to deal with it was to use a lot of pins and place them close together.


First I pinned the pieces and sewed them wrong sides together, leaving a section open to turn the blanket right-side out. Then I pinned again and topstitched around the outside edge.


I also used the embroidery machine to make a label for her blanket. Her nickname has been Baby Girl since the day she was born ...

I hand-stitched the label to the zebra side. I hope she likes it ...


Happy Anniversary to my middle sister and her sweet hubby
and a Happy Valentine's Day to everyone!!!

8 comments:

Baby Sister said...

You are so amazingly talented!! That looks like such an awesome blanket.

p.s i like your ring ;)

Loren said...

OH. MY. GOSH!!! You are sooo amazing! I love MINKY too! I just purchased a camera strap with the pink minky and zebra on the other side.....I LOVE IT :)

I really can't wait til your store opens! Until then, we can just slobber and envy your family members gifts LOL
Want to adopt me ??!!??! haha

Happy Valentines Day my friend! Love and hugs to you!

Tightwad Mom said...

Fabulous blanket! Thank goodness you weren't backed up on Valentine's gift! :D You are a wonderful Grandma to do something so sweet for your Granddaughter. Happy Valentine's Day to you!

Anonymous said...

isn't minky dots the best?

and now you've got me thinkin i would really like a pair of minky underwear!!!

Liz Mays said...

You are so right about that minky fabric. It's utterly fantastic! That was really sweet of you to make that. :)

Pepsi Breath said...

You have broadened my cushy world now! Had never heard of Minky and now must seek out a good sale. The blanket was beautifully done and sure to be treasured.

Snowcatcher said...

Oh, wow! I love those fabrics together. You did a GREAT job!

Elizabeth @ Southern Comfort said...

I wish I had the time to do all the fun sewing projects I have in my head. My grandma used to make me all sorts of wonderful gifts and taught me how to sew with her. Keep up the fabulous work, I'm sure your 'baby girl' will cherish all her precious gifts for the rest of her life.