October 19, 2010

Things Not To Do

I was watching "Oprah" this past week on what's considered normal and one of the questions they polled the audience on was if they sing in the car while driving. I do. Occasionally I'll feel self-conscious if I'm really singing with gusto at a traffic light, but I usually don't care what anyone else thinks, especially if I'm enjoying myself.

The last time I got a ticket was a few years ago on one of those gorgeous Spring mornings in Phoenix when the air temperature is still fresh and cool. I was on my way to work, window down, silk neck scarf fluttering in the breeze. I was feeling so good, so happy. I wish I could remember what was on the radio, but I do remember that it was blasting out of the speakers and I was singing at the top of my lungs. I'm pretty sure my mouth was wide open in song when I spotted the motorcycle cop who radar gunned me and pulled me over. Fortunately, it was not photo radar.

There was very little traffic and I was rolling along at a good clip. As it turns out, it was a really good clip. Yep, turns out I was going 61 in a 40 mph zone. Officer Buzzkill did not care that I was the only one on the street and having a wonderful morning.

I ended up going to traffic school for this ticket where I was instructed to use my cruise control and always set it for 5 miles over the speed limit (unless you're in a school zone). This has helped me rein in my natural tendency to lead foot the gas pedal. Speaking of school zones, I am truly amazed at how many people illegally pass in school zones. The definition of passing is the front of your vehicle passing the front of another vehicle so if someone in the lane next to you is going say 12 mph and you decide to go 15 and the front of your car moves ahead of the front of their car, that's illegal!

Anyway, Hubby was commuting to New York from Phoenix around the time I was ticketed and I picked him up at the airport when he came back from one trip. I kept to the speed limit on the freeway all the way home and it just about killed him. He was gritting his teeth and asking me if I could go a little faster because it felt like we were standing still. I just smiled and said "No" and turned up the radio because I wasn't even going to chance getting another ticket.

Here's a funny thing that happened recently. I was on a list with Alice Cooper. I donated a knitted shawl for a local charity fundraiser and one of the other donations for the silent auction was a guitar to be personally signed by Alice Cooper who also lives in Phoenix. When I received the list of donors, I realized this is probably the only time in my life I'll be on the same page as Alice Cooper.

Thinking of things I wish I hadn't done (the speeding ticket) and Alice Cooper (guitars), brings me to
wishing our sweet nephew a 
Very Happy 19th Birthday today! 
A few years ago, this talented musician also did something I'm betting he wished he hadn't done. According to my sister, he decided to pitch a firecracker into their toilet, slam the lid shut and see what happened. Well, what happened was the side of the toilet blew out, ruining the toilet and soaking the bathroom. He ended up having to spend his savings replacing said exploded toilet.

Boys will be boys. And if you don't believe me, pop on over and check out this post by Shell at Things I Can't Say. I'm thinking she may never blow dry her hair again. Be sure to tell her I said "Hi!"

12 comments:

Dazee Dreamer said...

how rude of the cop to give you a ticket. especailly since you were rocking the look.

Baby Sister said...

I always sing out loud in the car. It's so much more fun!! Mr. Cop Man wasn't very nice to you though.
I laughed at the firecracker in the toilet story. Kinda sounds like something I might have done when I was younger. Just awesome. :)

Tightwad Mom said...

What a bummer that the traffic cop put an end to your impromptu concert! I love the exploding toilet story(about wet my pants, I was laughing so hard). Living in a predominantly male household, I know that situations like that present themselves quite often. I told my husband that after the last boy leaves home we will have to burn the house down, because will be cheaper to build a new house,rather than to repair everything the kids have destroyed in the existing one!

Lori said...

I sing out loud in the car all the time and I have really gotten embarassed doing it. Being from a small town, there are lots of times when you find yourself beside someone you know at the red light:)

Duchess said...

Meanie cop! Singing in the car should make for at least 10 mph :0)

Snowcatcher said...

You kept me laughing! Will your nephew ever speak to you again when he finds out you tattled his antic son your blog?!? :)

And now I'm off to see what Shell said because it sounds just too tempting to not read...

Snowcatcher said...

Thanks for refering me over to Shell. That was hilarious! Brought back memories of my own little rascals...

jayayceeblog said...

@ Lori ... the best defense is always to sing louder and smile big!!!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That is actually pretty cool being on the same list with Alice Cooper!
I always use my cruise control, sorry about that ticket.

Joann Mannix said...

Oh, Shell and that gorilla glue story is unbelievable!

Sorry about your ticket.

I got my one and only ticket a few years back. I was late bringing the girls to school and I was clocked doing 48 in A 35. Now let me say, it is not the first time I've ever been pulled over. No. But it was the first time, I looked like hell and a half. My hair was insane. I had no makeup on and I was wearing my glasses which were taped in one corner. Usually I can smile and apologize sweetly and work up a tear or two. This po-po wasn't buying the sugary act from the ugly girl.

Unknown said...

You have just made me realize that I was very fortunate in raising 5 teenage boys that I never had a firecracker in the toilet, lord knows we had them enough other places, lol.

PS I have to set my cruise, I have a lead foot too, lol.

Loren said...

Mr Buzzkill....LOLOLOL Oh I love you :) Thanks for the giggles!

I have a friend who has triplets and they actually did that very thing at OUR CHURCH!! YEP! they had to do some serious work around the church to pay their dues!! Their mother was just beside herself! They learned a bit but let me tell ya...they are still boys!!