September 10, 2010

Everything's Coming Up Orchids

Did you know that orchids are the second largest family of flowering plants and have between 21,950 and 26,049 species? Did you know that the vanilla we use to flavor all of our wonderful baked goods is an orchid genus? Me either!

I was recently given this beautiful orchid as a hostess gift. I don't think I've ever had an orchid to kill before.


Many other varieties of plants have given their lives up to my black thumb, but this will - eventually - be my first orchid fatality.


I've actually had it for four weeks now and it's still alive and looking healthy as you can see by my photos. Keep your fingers crossed -- maybe this one will make it!


I've finished a project with orchid colored yarn as well. I am donating a shawl to a local charitable organization for their annual fundraiser next month. I knitted the body of it on the knitting machine, only using every other needle to make the stitches looser and lacier.


Then crocheted a border around it ...


Fringed it and blocked it to open up the stitches ...


It's so soft and pretty ... and it's ready to go.


Hope it brings in a few bucks for the organization.

9 comments:

Tightwad Mom said...

Beautiful orchid! I am flower challenged myself. They all end up dead (I guess I am the Grim Reaper of the botanical world!). I am enthralled with your beautiful shawl! I wish I had your talent!!!!!!!!!!

Baby Sister said...

Pretty orchid. :)
I love the shawl!! I want one...

Kathleen said...

I love orchids but have never had any luck keeping one alive. Your orchid-colored project is lovely.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I'm usually very good with plants but I killed my orchid :( That shawl is beautiful.

Beth Zimmerman said...

I've never been able to keep a plant alive either! And that is a GORGEOUS shawl!

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

I love the shawl! and the orchid, which I would certainly kill too.

Duchess said...

beautiful shawl! I always want your one of whatever you make :0)

Snowcatcher said...

The shawl is beautiful, so I, too, hope it will bring in some needed funds.

Your orchids are spectacular. I knew the origin of vanilla, but I hadn't really given it much thought in a pictoral sense. Now you've made me hungry!

Loren said...

Oh my! The Shawl is beautiful!! Makes me think of my Nana. My mom got her one the Christmas before we lost her and she just loved it! I am sure you will bring the organization some good money for it!