October 11, 2010

What's Cookin' - Wild Alaskan Sablefish

In an effort to "healthify" (yep, I just made that word up) our diet, we're still trying new types of fish and getting to know adorable people who sell the fish. We went to the Roadrunner Park Farmers' Market in Phoenix a few Saturdays ago where we met Cassie and Justin ...


... with Alaskan Pride Seafoods. Justin's father is a fisherman in Alaska and Alaskan Pride Seafoods is a family business. They also sell other types of fish like salmon, halibut and rockfish.


When Cassie told us about Wild Alaskan Sablefish, a.k.a. Black Cod, how delicious it is and simple to prepare, we had to try it.


We bought a beautiful tail piece that served three of us for dinner. Per Cassie's instructions, I seasoned it with salt, pepper and a drizzle of oil. Then I also added some lemon seasoning from the spice rack and baked it on a cookie sheet for about 12 minutes at 375 degrees.


Served it with roasted broccoli made with minced garlic and chili pepper flakes ...


Yum! Flaky, light, flavorful, absolutely delicious. If you are interested in premium wild-caught high quality seafood that can be shipped right to your door, check out their website at http://alaskanprideseafoods.com/. We were definitely delighted and impressed!

10 comments:

Kathleen said...

Yummy!

Baby Sister said...

Well, I hate sea food, but I will still say that it looks nummy. :)

jayayceeblog said...

Note: I received the following lovely email from another family member at Alaskan Pride Seafoods ...

Good morning,

We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed the Sablefish! It is a personal favorite of most of those in our family, and it is nice to see that it is beginning to get some recognition with others as well. As we've been getting more experience in selling our products directly to the public, one of the recurring themes we hear is that people are scared to cook fish for fear of ruining it. Sablefish is a great fish to start off with, as it is very forgiving and actually hard to overcook(within reason of course!), which makes it a good intro to cooking fish. We frequently will make a basic marinade with Soy Sauce(liquid aminos if you don't want gluten) that has been thinned down a bit with water, honey or brown sugar to sweeten slightly, chopped onions, minced garlic, and some olive oil and sesame seeds. Soak the fish for a few hours, then grill or bake. Comes out great, and the marinade is excellent for salmon as well.

Take care, and have a great day!

Cedar Mulligan
Alaskan Pride Seafoods

Tightwad Mom said...

Holy deliciousness(I made that word up too! Maybe we should write a dictionary together!)The fish looks divine, and so does the broccoli! Alaskan fish is delicious.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Looks like a great meal. Good for you, fish is a great addition to your diet.

Joann Mannix said...

What a nice email! And if I can look like those 2, I'm going to start gobbling up fish more often! I have never tried this fish, but I'm going to now. Here's to healthy eating.

heavenisabookstore said...

You said three? Did the kid like it?

Loren said...

Oh man! to have fresh fish like this is such a gift! and at a farmers market ...WOW! I.am.jealous!!! LOL

So glad you enjoyed it....I just LOVE the nights my DH makes us fish....the only thing I haven't been able to enjoy is salmon! I have tried it everyway possible and I just don't like it...crazy I know!

Unknown said...

Oh it looks very good! I would even give that fish a try and I'm not a fish eater. :)

New Orleans Small Engine Repair said...

Hello maate great blog