October 23, 2009

Reading "Speak"

speakThis book nearly leaves me speechless. It brought back to me all the tough parts of high school -- anxiety, awkwardness, the yearning to fit in. My high school years were a long time ago so I can't even imagine how much tougher it's become on today's kids.


Melinda is entering her freshman year of high school after calling the cops a few months before, breaking up an end-of-year party. So, of course, everyone is mad at her. All of her friends have abandoned her. And, unfortunately, she can't bring herself to tell them all what really happened at the party and why she did it.

She finds that introverting and saying as little as possible is the only way to function. Even her family seems to be going through a foundering dysfunctional phase. Finding out what brought all this about and how she drags herself out of the downward spiral it causes makes this a fascinating read. With only 198 pages, it's also a quick read.
laurie halse anderson
laurie halse anderson
This is a first novel written by Laurie Halse Anderson in 1999. Check out her website at http://writerlady.com. It has won numerous honors and awards and is really an excellent book, especially if you have kids in the middle school/high school age group. Even if you don't, wrap yourself in a blanket, make yourself a cup of something warm and settle in. It's like visiting high school again without being afraid you'll forget your locker combination.

And speaking of reading, I've finally joined a book club. Yay! I've wanted to do this for years and just recently was invited to join a small group of lovely ladies that I know from a charitable organization I've worked with.

They meet once a month, discuss a little reading and drink some wine. One of the members says it's a wine club and we read a little. :-) The first book I've read with the group is "The Lost Symbol," Dan Brown's latest and greatest. (Mom, I will send it to you eventually.) What a fun discussion. Especially when there are things like religion and politics involved. Woo hoo! Pour another glass of cabernet.

4 comments:

Kelli said...

Jealous!!

jayaycee said...

I'm so excited about the book club. They are reading my suggestion for next month -- the one you sent me for my birthday a few years ago -- Charles Martin's "When Crickets Cry." I'm ready to read it again!

Kelli said...

I'd be interested to hear what they say about it. I believe I own everything CM has written. I heard a quote the other day (forgot to write it down)...something like, 'the heart of a man is known, not by what he reads, but by what he re-reads."

jayaycee said...

I am so eager to re-read it. I'll let you know what they think. Great quote!