October 1, 2009

My Secret Life!?!?

A few years back, hubby traveled for work a lot. I was working full-time as well and entertaining myself while he was gone during the week by shopping in the evenings. Lots of book buying and reading going on. But I heard someone sing a song on a TV show -- can't even remember who or what it was now -- and thought, "I need to buy that CD."

Music CDsAnd so it started. My new hobby was listening to music and purchasing CDs. I put together one of those nice zippered travel cases with hundreds of CDs and I'd change them out in my car, listening to new ones all the time. I love to sing at the top of my lungs in the car. In fact, that's how I got my last speeding ticket, but that's a story for another day.

One weekend, hubby and I were headed somewhere in my car that was a long drive -- probably Sedona -- and I was in the driver's seat. I said, "Let's switch out the CDs. Will you pull my CD case out from under the seat?"

CD Travel CaseHubby has this confused look on his face and reaches down to pull the CD case from beneath the passenger seat. He unzips it and starts flipping through pages and pages of CDs. He says, "Where did all these come from?"

"I bought them."

"You bought all these CDs?" He's sounding very incredulous at this point.

"Well, yeah ... why?"

And he turns to me and says, "I don't even know you!"

Of course, we laughed our asses off and still do whenever we think about it. I guess he just couldn't believe I had this secret life -- buying CDs -- that he had no idea about. You know, ya gotta keep some mystery in the marriage!

10 comments:

Kelli said...

Play my Celtic Thunder ALL the time - but the kids usually make me turn it off for "Puppy Love". Thanks again! My new favorite band: "Need to Breathe".

I don't think I have any secrets - I still have kids at home that tell every move you make. I've had so many candy stashing spots that I've had to change I don't remember where it is any more!

jayaycee said...

I just plain quit stashing candy. I used to go in the bathroom and lock the door and the girls would stand with their ears pressed up against it listening to the wrappers rustle. They'd call out, "What are you doing in there?" And I'd shout, with my mouth full of chocolate and caramel, "Nuffin' ... go away!" And we wonder why they need therapy.

Kelli said...

Many years ago I got a call on Christmas Eve from a friend telling me that Menards was clearancing their miniature Bethlehem village pieces. She knew I've always dreamed of having a whole village around my nativity set. We were broke because of Christmas, but I grabbed the girls and went. A manager was standing there with a red pen, when he saw me drooling he told me to make a pile of what I wanted and walked away. I piled up about $80 worth, knowing I couldn't afford half that. He came back and gave me everything for $20. I started to cry - then he teared up and I spontaneously gave him a grateful hug. So, what did the girls shout as soon as they got home? "Dad, Mom hugged some guy in Menards!"

jayaycee said...

Oh, I love that story. Anything to do with Christmas spirit! The granddaughter says to me, "Nana, we're the Christmas girls, aren't we?" We watch Christmas movies all year long. Hubby just gags and runs.

Don't you love how they tattle? I guess if you'd just quit hugging strange men in stores!!!

Sara said...

I truly believe my car wouldn't run if the CD player ever quit working. I BLAST it and sing as if I'm holding my own private concert.

jayaycee said...

I, too, sing in the car as though the world is my own private stage. It's unfortunate that other drivers can see in my windows!

Kelli said...

It's AMAZING the things some people will do in their cars, forgetting they're on display. I love it when an adult is carrying on an animated (one-way) conversation with a small child who can't be seen above seat level!

jayaycee said...

Probably the worst is someone picking their nose like they're the only one left on earth. Dude, we can see you!

Kelli said...

You mean those aren't pickles in the ash tray? Eeew!

jayaycee said...

OMG, that is SO gross! Hysterical -- snort -- but gross!!!