January 7, 2010

Reading "Dear John"

My horoscope in today's newspaper reads:

You find it impossible to think anything but the best about everyone you meet. Goodness hovers around you like a perfume.

Is that what that smell is? Obviously, they don't know me!

I hosted our book club meeting last night. It's good to have people over periodically. Makes you straighten up the house. I love the morning after we've had guests, just walking around with my coffee cup, enjoying the sparkly clean!

We discussed "The Help," which everyone really liked and we're all hoping Kathryn Stockett goes on to write more books. We were missing a few members due to illness and a bad back, but gained a new member -- my YD joined us. There is another mother-daughter who attends and it's so nice to see how they really like each other and want to spend time together. We are all lucky to have this close relationship.

In addition to the usual wine, cheese, crackers and fruit, I decided to make a little hot appetizer. It was super easy and really delicious. Actually got raves. At Italian restaurants, one of my favorites is a Caprese salad, which is mozzarella, plum tomatoes, basil and olive oil so this plays off of that. Called Crostini Caprese, I found it on the Pampered Chef website and will make this one over and over again. I don't have the Large Round Stone, so substituted a cookie sheet and it worked just fine. Also just used my store brand spray olive oil.

Finally, to the real reason I'm writing. "Dear John" is classic Nicholas Sparks. As you'll remember from "The Notebook," he writes deep love stories and someone always gets sick and/or dies. This book did not disappoint; however, it was predictable. YD, hubby and I all read it and figured out the ending ahead of time. All that said, it was a nice read.

John Tyree is a troubled kid, raised alone by a father so shy he can barely carry on a conversation. After completing high school, John decides he is on the wrong path and joins the army, which turns out to be a good thing for him. Home on a furlough, he meets Savannah and they fall in love. They make plans to marry when he gets out of the service -- then 9/11 happens. When his entire squad reenlists, he has to choose between love for his country and love for his woman. Lots of angst, lots of drama.

I am looking forward to seeing the movie, which comes out February 5th. But here's one of the things that drives me nuts when they make a book into a movie. Sparks makes it very clear in the book that Savannah is brunette. Especially in the beginning when they first meet, it is mentioned over and over that she is an attractive brunette. So in my head I have this image of Savannah as a brunette. If you've seen the movie previews -- or just look at the cover of the book, they have cast her as a blonde. What???

Pictured is the book with a vase of pretty yellow flowers I got yesterday.

4 comments:

Sara said...

You have given me and BF an AHA moment! When BF and I went to France in 2007 we went to a restaurant near the Montparnasse Train Station that served this salad that you described and we thought we had discovered a new French dish! We fell in love with it and started making it on our return. Little did we know that it's an Italian salad (hello? mozzarella!) and now we know it's called a Caprese. Thank you!

Kelli said...

Was given my first N. Sparks for Christmas - "The Last Song". Cried like a baby. We went to see Disney's "P&Frog" yesterday and one of the previews was for the movie coming out in April, starring Miley Cyrus! I am just starting to discover horizontal surfaces in my house again after Christmas. Have also sworn off chocolate forever........no, I mean it.

jayaycee said...

I don't think I've read The Last Song -- will pick that one up. Isn't it nice to put all the Christmas stuff away and find your table tops again? No way on the chocolate. It's not humanly possible. ;-D

jayaycee said...

It is one of my favorites ... makes me hungry just thinking about it! How funny that you discovered an Italian dish in France!!!