January 4, 2011

Oh Mittened One


No, no, not that one. I said mitten, not glove!

Today is my sweet niece's 21st birthday. (Oh Lord, we're gettin' old, sis!) She had requested something knitted for her birthday -- a pair of mittens -- purple mittens.

I was so far behind on my Christmas knitting, that I never even got a chance to start her birthday mittens until after Christmas. And then we had that tragically sad week between Christmas and New Year's when I really didn't get anything done around here, including knitting. So ...

I have one finished. Behold, the lone mitten ...


Here you see it perched on a wine glass for the photo op, which I thought was extremely fitting since she is now 21 and of legal imbibing age.

And here's the best part. I emailed my sister and asked her to give my apologies to said niece because her birthday gift is going to be way late this year and I received this email from my Minnesota niece in response ...

It's okay Aunt Jayaycee! When I drive, I only put one hand on the steering wheel, so that'll work out just fine! Nobody will know that I only have one mitten! hahaha jk. 
I SUPPPPPPOOOOSSSSEEEEE I can wait. My mom says I can't be disappointed because you guys have been a little stressed out this holiday season, so I completely understand and will wait, mittenless, in this butt freezing cold weather, for you to finish my right hand masterpiece. Love you MUCHES! (That's spanish, so ask Huncle for a translation). :D.
 
-Love your smart ass Niece


Makes me laugh every time I read it and I have re-read it frequently this week. Kiddo, you kill me and I absolutely adore you!

To explain a few of the above references. Hubby has been working on Spanish in Rosetta Stone so he should be able to explain to me what muches means. And when this niece along with another niece and nephew were out here a few years ago for a visit, we made the mistake of showing them a manipulated picture we had taken at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas where our faces were scanned into a rather scandalous photo that made Hubby look like Fabio on steroids. Ever since, they have called him Huncle! Dontcha love it???

So Happy 21st Birthday, Sweetie Pie Niece. I promise to have both mittens in the mail to you this week -- even though your Huncle thought I should just mail them one at a time. =D

9 comments:

Tightwad Mom said...

Tee Hee Hee! You made my whole day with that story! You are the best! Just for the record...I think you should mail them one at a time,too!

Anonymous said...

Mail them one at a time...a month apart. She's a cutie!

BUT...muches isn't really spanish...sadly. :)

Dazee Dreamer said...

omg. that her email was soooo funny. she should blog. I digress. I think everyone should blog.

Of course, I loved her the minute you said "purple"

Liz Mays said...

It made me laugh too!

Loren said...

Oh em geeee! I think she takes after her Auntie with her humor for sure ;) You both crack me up! I can only imagine how much laughter you have when you are all together!

Happy Birthday to your niece and happy knitting to you my friend!

Pepsi Breath said...

How about.....one this birthday and its mate NEXT birthday. Too mean?

DazeeDreamer is right.....she has the right amount of sass to have a terrific blog!

Baby Sister said...

I agree with Noelle on this one. A month apart. That would be hilarious!!

She's a cute girl. Huncle...how funny.

Well done on the mitten. :)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Oh that is such a sweet story. I love her email to you. So where is this picture with Huncle, we want to see it!

Kathleen said...

Sounds like you have a wonderful niece who will be well deserving of those purple mittens once you finish them!