January 17, 2011

Fear of UFOs

We had one of those really nice lazy dazy weekends with lots of jammie time, blanket cuddling, reading, napping, movie watching, a little cooking and some knitting thrown in for good measure. We got our Christmas decorations packed up and stored away on Saturday and it finally felt like we were over the holidays again for another year, which was much needed. Some years it seems like the holidays, as much fun as they are, are harder to get through than others.

I've been reading about UFO challenges on various blogs. If you do any crafting, you know that UFO in this situation stands for Un Finished Objects, which really means a project you started, then stuffed in a bag and ditched in the back of a closet somewhere. Or is that just me? It could be any type of project - knitting, quilting, crocheting, sewing - something that either became boring or scary or who knows what your reasons are.

Here is mine ...


In November of 2007, I received some birthday cash from Mom and Dad and this is when I had gotten all jazzed about knitting again. I made nearly all of our Christmas gifts that year (8 scarves, 2 shrugs and a hat) ...


{Sorry about that last picture. It's a black scarf for my nephew knitted in chenille yarn with pockets sewn into each end and there was no way to get a decent photo of it, though I tried.}

So after I'd done all this knitting of fairly simple items throughout the year, I had birthday cash to spend and decided I'd make myself a sweater -- the Brushed Lace Cardigan that I found in a knitting magazine. And it started off great. I bought all these beautiful colors of Caron Simply Soft yarn to make this 3/4 length sleeve cardigan. This is a sweater that is knit in individual pieces and sewn together. Got the back done ...


Got the two front pieces done and one sleeve. And there the story ends, my friends. Sad, but true. I think I intimidated myself with the idea of seaming it all together and decided to put it away for awhile. Let's see, started in November 2007 ... *$@&%)~^ ... that's me calculating that it has been 3 years and 2 months since I started this beautiful sweater!!!

I am thoroughly flabbergasted and disgusted with my abandonment skills and this is my UFO project that will be finished in 2011, come hell or high water. You know, hell is only a few months away in Phoenix when we creep back up to Face of the Sun temps. High water? I have been caught in a flash flood in a wash once ...

So do you have any UFOs stuffed in the back of a closet?

10 comments:

Liz Mays said...

I have tons of UFO's. In fact, I have supplies for projects I intended to work on and I don't even remember what the projects were anymore. Ridiculous!

Dazee Dreamer said...

I have a UFO from about 30 years ago. just can't finish it.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I had never heard of that. I thought you were going to talk about some UFO experience you had!
he he

Tightwad Mom said...

I still wish I could knit like you!!! Then I would have some UFO's in the back of my closet.

Unknown said...

We don't talk about UFOs here. I have a few Counted Cross Stitch objects I haven't been able to work on in years. And 3 quilts that are nearly done. One knitted scarf on the hooks since 2006, lol. And I only have my first grandchild's scrap done up to 3 months. And that's all I'm fessing up too!

Baby Sister said...

I have a cross-stich that I started for one of my BFFs that I never finished because I got off in a couple of places and it was my first one and I never wanted to take out the stitches...so I just gave up and it's sitting my apartment and will probably never be done. I think that's about it. I've never heard it called UFO though. Good luck with all of your UFO crafts. :)

Loren said...

Oh gosh...you crack me up! I really don't want to even think about all the UFO's I have :) But hey! 3 yrs. 2 mo. is probably better than ALOT of people...so you shouldn't feel all that bad!! BTW, your sweater is GORGEOUS!! I LOVE your colors and CANNOT wait to see this finished!

Thanks for letting me see UFO in a WHOLE NEW WAY! ;)

Snowcatcher said...

My UFOs are naughty; they procreate and reproduce and replenish the entire universe when left in a dark closet. And yet, still I let them thrive there!

Your knitting is breathtaking! I'll help you sew together that sweater if you finish the final sleeve! It's gorgeous!!!

Pet Lover said...

You are truly blessed and gifted, awesome knitting job.

Kathleen said...

I have to admit that I have a few UFOs also! I really should make it a priority to finish them in 2011!