August 9, 2010

What's Cookin' - Soda Pop Bread



I love home baked bread, but sometimes the thought of dealing with the yeast and the rising and the big mess just puts me off. So when I saw this recipe for Soda Pop Bread in the Arizona Republic newspaper Saturday, I was intrigued. It was submitted for Jan D'Atri's Phoenix Living column by Doris Elkins of Mesa. And here's the intriguing part -- it only has 3 ingredients!

Soda Pop Bread
(makes 1 loaf)

1-1/2 Cups (12-ounce can) Ginger Ale (not diet)
2 Tablespoons Sugar
3 Cups Self-Rising Flour

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, combine sugar and ginger ale. Slowly pour in the flour. Stir to just moisten. Do not over-beat.

Pour dough into a bread pan (approximately 10 inches by 6 inches).

Bake for about 45 minutes or until golden brown.

When using a convection oven, cooking time will be reduced about 10-15 minutes.

-----

First, let me say that this dough does not "pour" into the bread pan. It is thick and sticky and you have to scrape and plop it in. It does not call for greasing the pan, but I think next time I'll try a light coating of baker's spray (oil with flour) since it stuck a little on the bottom.

My oven tends to run hot, so when I checked it after only 30 minutes in the oven and it looked pretty golden brown and done on top, I pulled it out. However, when we were having it for dinner and sliced near the center of the bread, it was a tiny bit doughy so I should have let it bake a little bit longer.

As far as the texture and taste, we really liked it. It's very dense. We served it up with a steak dinner, just slathering butter on it. It would probably be very good toasted with jam and even for sandwiches. I'm planning to try adding some herbs (like chopped fresh rosemary) to the dough or even a handful of grated parmesan cheese for a little more artisan style bread. And now I'm wondering what other flavors of soda pop would work in this. Hmmmmm.

I love that it's only 3 ingredients and that I had a loaf ready to eat so quickly. This is the kind of bread you could make as someone is on the way over for an impromptu meal. Definitely a keeper!


15 comments:

My Life in Purple said...

Yum! I think I might just make myself some bread...

Kathleen said...

This recipe sounds nice and simple, just the way I like it!

Baby Sister said...

That looks delicious!! I'm excited to try it!

Anonymous said...

I love homemade bread... but hardly ever make it b/c of the whole yeast thing. I mean, let rise then beat down then let rise again... who has time for that?!?

It looks like a delicious bread! I might have to buy some ginger ale!

Cheeseboy said...

I bet Diet Ginger Ale totally ruins it. This actually sounds quite good.

Tightwad Mom said...

Look delicious! I must try this soon! Thanks for the fun recipe!

heavenisabookstore said...

Wow that sounds really good and really easy to make. I bet it would be good with food like chili where you need a scooper.

AiringMyLaundry said...

Oh yum, I love bread so I'm sure I'd love this.

Joann Mannix said...

It looks great. I love a dense bread. It reminds me of one of my favorite things in the whole world which is Ireland's brown bread. this looks a lot like that. Kudos to you for making bread. I'm all about the ease and flour and yeast and sticky and all of that is just too much for my little brain to handle, even if it is only 3 ingredients.

cfoxes33 said...

That bread looks so yummy!

Faythe said...

Oh looks yummy! I can not imagine baking bread in the heat we've been having, tho! I do not have A/C! BTW Jac, you were a winning Wednesday Wizard last week over by me, so you get to collect the coveted Wednesday Wizard badge to post on your blog to show everyone how smart you are in all things!! just maybe not all things useful (wink) Look forward to seeing you on WW! *hugs*
Faythe @GrammyMousetails

My Life in Purple said...

So, I made the bread, had to try it. It's quite bland, but very good. I might add a few more ingredients to it too :)

Unknown said...

It does sound like one I would like to give a shot. I love bread of all kinds and I love that this is just 3 ingredients, granted I would have to run out and buy two of them, lol. But I think I would try it. :)

Unknown said...

Ok, I wrote it down, I am definitely going to try it. :)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Haven't heard of this one. I will have to give it a try. Thanks!