April 1, 2011

98 Degrees

Yes, I realize it's April Fool's Day, but that is no joke. We are supposed to hit 98 degrees in Phoenix today. We've had a beautiful Spring, but I see Summer coming like a runaway train. Which reminds me, have you seen "Unstoppable" with Denzel? It's fabulous! Kept me on the edge of the couch for most of the movie.

We went to a charity fundraiser at a garden nursery recently and picked up some Brilliant Hibiscus and Asparagus Fern to replace some we've lost. Here they are, all in a row and waiting to be planted ...


The hibiscus really is named Brilliant. I don't just think mine are smarter than the average hibiscus. Maybe I should have a bumper sticker made: My Brilliant Hibiscus is an honor hibiscus!


I also picked up some herbs to put in containers on the back patio. Rosemary ...


... and Basil. They smell so amazing! Almost makes me want to cook something. Almost.


Since we'll have company in town starting this weekend and we're already up in the 90s temperature-wise, we'll have the patio and pool deck and furniture all hosed off and spit-shined, ready to enjoy.

Even the babies got a haircut. I said "Sit" and they did, but notice Milesyoulittlebastard looks like he's ready to bolt ...


Happy April, everybody!

11 comments:

wilsonc said...

Love the hibicus! Vivid color. It's still a bit early to be doing any of that here in the PNW, however, we are about to have a dry day with a high in the low sixties. I'll probably buy herbs and plants for the patio mid to late April.

Kristen said...

Beautiful hibiscus! I've thought about planting a few around the side of the house...but that would require tearing up the spiky hedge. Oh well, maybe next year!
Confession: The first thought that popped in my head when I saw your post title was, "Wow, I haven't heard anything about that boy band in a while!" Lol I think I am officially losing it.

caite said...

Milesyoulittlebastard...an interesting name for a dog..lol

Dazee Dreamer said...

those babies are soooo cute.

98 degrees. now that is just way too hot. it was in the high 60's today and felt wonderful. but don't get too excited, snow is in the forecast for sunday. drats. think of me, shivering wrapped in a blanket while you are lounging by the pool. you rat.

Loren said...

98 degress! Holy Smokes! That is toooo HOT already! We had a simply GORGEOUS DAY today !! Mom and I went to Bartleville OK and walked around this quaint little town. It was FABULOUS! Had a wonderful lunch, got some pedi's and then went to the park with my kids after we picked them up at school!!

Your Hibiscus are BEAUTIMOUS!! I am quite envious of your warm weather, patio, herbs, precious babies and well of course YOU~ (wonderful you!!) will be there~ Your family is sooo blessed and I know you all will have a wonderful time :) Enjoy every minute my friend!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

The haircuts are cute. Skye is in need of one. I love hybiscus. We don't have any at this house. We were 94 degrees yesterday. It's too early for this kind of heat!

heavenisabookstore said...

What will prevent one of those little cute dogs pulling up and eating those wonderful new flowers?

jayayceeblog said...

@ heavenisabookstore - Louie actually ate a leaf out of the Basil pot. I found it on the ground next to the pot with teeth marks in it. He hasn't been near it since so apparently he didn't enjoy the flavor, thank God! =D

Unknown said...

Wow you are warm already! Wowzers! We're still in some single digits and getting snow, lol. You plants look very healthy!

Baby Sister said...

I like the new header. :)

2 reasons you should move to Utah: To get away from the ridiculous heat in APRIL...good gravy. And? To shop at our garden center instead. :D

Kathleen said...

Your doggies are so adorable. Your pictures of them always make me smile. 98 degrees sounds a little too hot for my liking but getting into the pool and sunning sounds pretty good!