June 10, 2010

What's Cookin' - Portobello Caprese Sandwich


I was out with the Book Club ladies recently and had a sandwich that tasted so good, I just had to recreate a version of it at home. The "meat" in this sandwich is a portobello mushroom so it's vegetarian. While any bread would do, I had a loaf of Three-Cheese Semolina artisan bread on hand, which worked beautifully. And I adore anything Caprese -- throw some pesto, mozzarella and Romas on it and I'll eat it!

Portobello Caprese Sandwich
(directions are for 2 sandwiches)

4 slices bread
Prepared pesto
2 Portobello mushrooms
2 T. Olive oil
2 T. Unsalted butter
Minced fresh garlic
Salt and pepper
4 Slices of mozzarella cheese
4 Slices of Roma tomatoes
Baby spinach or arugula

Remove the stem from each mushroom and slice in half lengthwise so you have two large circles.


Heat oil, butter and garlic in a skillet or grill pan to medium heat. Once hot, add the mushroom slices, then salt and pepper. Saute the mushrooms for about 6 minutes on each side.


Once you have turned them, put your bread in the toaster. For each sandwich, slather one piece of toast with pesto, then put spinach or arugula leaves on it. Layer with the hot mushrooms, mozzarella and tomatoes, then a little more spinach or arugula and top with the other piece of toast that has also been spread with pesto.

The portobellos taste like steak and this is an incredibly satisfying sandwich that I'll be making again!

8 comments:

Katina said...

Looks delicious! Can you come to my house and fix it for me? (LOL)

Duchess said...

Looks yummy! I'll take one :0)

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

Well, I don't eat mushrooms or beef, but the rest looks amazing!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh...I have such a strong disliking for mushrooms!!!

But your sandwich looks so good I might consider taking a bite!

kayembee said...

Can this plea-ea-ea-ea-se be on the menu next time I visit? My family actually gags if I try to feed my mushroom cravings. Uno's used to have an all-mushroom and swiss pizza that was AMAZING! Still haven't found your comments, but I'm positive they are pithy, witty and wise. :)

Katie's Dailies said...

That made my mouth water!

Mamí♥Picture said...

I sure don't like mushrooms but I sure like how you made it!!

Ally said...

i don't even like mushrooms but that sandwich looks amazing!

FourthGradeNothing.com