May 8, 2011

Why Did the Chicken Cross the Road?

To wish its Mom a 
Happy Mother's Day
of course!


Okay, I know that's lame, but I had to get the chicken potholders in here somehow!

My Mom is a wonderful seamstress and quilter and I'm always on the lookout for fun pattern ideas to send her. When I received an email from Interweave Quilting Arts that this new book, "101 Patchwork Projects + Quilts" was for sale, I bought one for Mom and one for myself.

Mom has decorated her kitchen with chickens and roosters, so when I saw these adorable chicken potholders (page 106) ...


I knew I had to make her a couple of them to go along with the book. Had a great time buying fat quarters of fabric at Jo-Ann ...


I even got some heat-resistant quilt batting for the insulated layer (that's the shiny white stuff on the left side) ...


I am a sloooooooooooooow and methodical sewer. I think Mom could probably have made an entire quilt in the time it took me to crank out two potholders, but I do love the way they turned out ...


I used a polka dot fabric for the backing that's very cheerful ...


This is the very first time I've quilted anything on the machine and, believe me, it's a little trickier than it looks. One of the cute details on the potholder is that the chicken's (rooster's?) comb sticks up 3D with frayed edges ...


So Happy Mother's Day, Mom!
Love you bunches and hope it's wonderful!!!

14 comments:

Dazee Dreamer said...

Happy mothers day to you.

You always impress me with your skills. Every time I'm looking for something, like right now a macrame (sp) hanging plant holder, which is very hard to find, BTW, I think, I bet Jayaycee would be able to whip one of these babies up. anycraftslater, like I said, Happy Mothers Day.

caite said...

Oh, they are very cute.
I wish I had some sewing skill....

heavenisabookstore said...

That was the goofiest chicken joke ever!! lol I love the colors in this. Very nice job.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Really cute potholders.
Happy Mother's Day!

Liz Mays said...

You really thought carefully about what she'd love. You're so sweet!!!

niamh said...

Now I see why you like Snowcatcher's blog so much, hugely impressed with the work you both do!

Connie said...

Love the chicken joke....you always bring a smile to my face! You're such a thoughtful daughter & I'm sure your mom loves her new potholders, especially because they were made with so much TLC. Hope your Mom's Day was spectacular!

Penelope said...

Happy Mother's Day…for the first time, I actually like that chicken joke.

Loren said...

Oh my gosh! these are DARLING!! I bet your mom LOVED them!!

Hope you Mothers Day was as special as you!! Love you Jane!

Karen Harrington said...

I love those chicken potholders. So cute and clever. Hope you had a happy mother's day!

Tightwad Mom said...

I adore those potholders!!!! They are both decorative and useful. You have the most amazing talents!!!

Elizabeth @ Southern Comfort said...

what a fabulous gift idea! I just love it. I wish I had more time to sew, and hey, if we're wishing for things, I wish I had a room for sewing/crafting. :) Great job, and I hope you and your mom had a wonderful Mother's day.

Anonymous said...

They look fabulous!

Baby Sister said...

I like!! Your mom is very lucky. :) Happy Mother's Day late to you!!